To shop for Farm Girl products, check out our website https://farmgirl.work/
Cinnamon Buns with Cream Cheese Frosting
What you’ll need…
½ cup (240 mL) warm water
½ tsp (2.5 mL) maple syrup or honey
2¼ tsp (11.25 mL) traditional active dry yeast *see notes below
¼ cup (60 mL) table or whipping cream
1 large egg, beaten
2 tbsp (30 mL) melted butter, cooled
3 cups (720 mL) FarmGirl Low Carb Pastry Mix
2 tbsp (30 mL) low carb sweetener
½ tsp (2.5 mL) sea salt
¼ cup (60 mL) softened butter
¼-1/3 cup (60 mL) low carb golden yellow sweetener *see notes below
1 tbsp (15 mL) cinnamon *see notes below
¼ cup (60 mL) table or whipping cream, to pour over
1-250 mL (6 oz) brick cream cheese
1/3 cup (80 mL) softened butter
1/3 cup (80 mL) low carb sweetener
1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
What to do…
1. In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together warm water and maple syrup or honey. Sprinkle over yeast and let rest for 5 minutes or until foamy.
2. Once foamy, add the yeast mixture to the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix in cream and beaten egg. Add FarmGirl Low Carb Pastry Mix, sweetener and sea salt. Using a fork, stir to form a rough dough.
3. Knead using the dough hook attachment for 4-6 minutes or until an elastic dough forms. Transfer to a lightly oil bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a damp tea towel. Let rise in a warm place for 45-60 minutes or until roughly doubled in size.
4. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C) and line an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking dish with parchment paper.
5. Onto a clean, floured, work surface, transfer the dough and roll into a rectangle approximately 18×12-inches (45×30 cm).
6. Spread the softened butter onto the dough rectangle, leaving a small strip along the top edge uncovered. Sprinkle over golden sweetener then cinnamon.
7. Roll from the bottom edge up. Cut into 6 equal pieces and transfer to prepared baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 20-30 minutes or until increased in size slightly.
8. Pour over remaining cream. Brush the surface of each spiral to ensure they are well coated.
9. Bake for 18-24 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool while preparing the cream cheese frosting.
10. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the softened cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add powdered sweetener and vanilla; beat until combined.
11. When cinnamon buns are cooled, top with cream cheese frosting and serve.
– If using quick rise yeast, add it directly to the dry ingredients in step 2.
– Any low carb sweetener can work for the filling. Something that is made to mimic brown sugar will taste more like a traditional cinnamon bun, but it’s not necessary to buy a different sweetener.
– Use the best quality cinnamon possible. Lower quality cinnamon is usually cassia bark which has a very strong medicinal taste. Ceylon or Saigon cinnamon will make a much more delicious cinnamon bun.